Directions in Documentary Sound: A conversation with Stuart Cody, Sarah Elder & Ernst Karel @ Harvard Art museums
Moderated by Ilisa Barbash. Co-sponsored by Documentary Educational Resources, Harvard Museums of Science and Culture, the Sensory Ethnography Lab at Harvard and the Harvard Art Museums. Followed by screenings of:
FILM SCREENINGS @ HARVARD FILM ARCHIVE
The Sound of Bells (O som dos sinos) Directed by Marcia Mansur & Marina Thomé; Brazil 2017, DCP, color, 70 min. Portuguese with English subtitles.
Buckdancer Directed by Bess Lomax Hawes; US 1965, digital video, b/w, 6 min.
FILM SCREENING @ HARVARD FILM ARCHIVE
Zulay, Facing the 21st Century Directed by Jorge Prelorán, Mabel Prelorán and Zulay Saravino; US/Ecuador 1989, digital video, color, 110 min. English, Spanish and Kichwa with English subtitles.
Screening Series @ the Peabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology’s Geological Lecture Hall
- Blunden Harbour (excerpt) Directed by Robert Gardner and William Heick; Canada 1951, 16mm, b/w, 5 min.
- Blunden Harbour Revisited Directed by Robert Gardner and William Heick/Jamaine Campbell and Thomas Henderson; Canada 1951/2014, digital video, b/w, 21 min.
- The Spirit of TV (O Espirito da TV) Directed by Vincent Carelli and Video in the Villages; Brazil 1990, digital video, color, 18 min. Waiãpi and Portuguese with English subtitles.
- Jero on Jero: A Balinese Trance Séance Observed Directed by Linda Connor, Patsy Asch and Tim Asch; US/Indonesia 1981, 16mm, color, 17 min. Balinese with English subtitles.
- Hello Photo Directed by Nina Davenport; US/India 1994, 16mm, color & b/w, 55 min.
Free Admission @ Peabody Museum’s Geological Lecture Hall, 24 Oxford Street
The Cinema of Patience: Reflecting on N!ai, The Story of a !Kung Woman @ peabody museum of archaeology and ethnology
The film screening will be followed by a panel discussion featuring:
- Michael Ambrosino, Former Producer, Public Television; Creator, PBS series NOVA and Odyssey
- Ilisa Barbash, Curator of Visual Anthropology, Peabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology
- Sue Marshall Cabezas, Former Executive Director, Documentary Educational Resources
- Ross McElwee, Professor of the Practice of Filmmaking, Department of Visual and Environmental Studies, Harvard University
Moderated by Alice Apley, Executive Director, Documentary Educational Resources. Taking place at the Geological Lecture Hall, 24 Oxford Street, Cambridge. Free event parking available at 52 Oxford Street Garage. Presented by Peabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology in collaboration with DER.
Double Feature screening @ Harvard Film Archive
Living at Risk: The Story of a Nicaraguan Family Directed by Alfred Guzzetti, Susan Meiselas, and Richard Rogers; US/Nicaragua 1985, digital video, color, 59 min. Spanish and English with English subtitles.
The Phans of Jersey City Directed by Abbie H. Fink, Stephen L. Forman, John N. Fraker and Dennis Lanson; US 1979, 16mm, color 49 min.
SCREENING @ HARVARD FILM ARCHIVE
Sailing a Sinking Sea Directed by Olivia Wyatt; US/Myanmar/Thailand 2015, DCP, color, 65 min. Thai with English subtitles.
Blue, A Tlingit Odyssey Directed by Robert Ascher; US 1991, 16mm, color, 6 min.
Screening of THE SOUND OF BELLS @ Margaret Mead Film Festival
Directed by Marcia Mansur & Marina Thomé; Brazil, digital video, color, 70 min, Portuguese with English subtitles; Q+A with filmmakers Marina Thomé and Marcia Mansur following film.
“Documentary Educational Resources (DER) at 50: A Focus on the Films of Co-Founder Timothy Asch” @ University of Southern California
Screenings and Panels, including
- One of Many and Dodoth Morning by Tim Asch
- The Ax Fight (Brazil, 16mm), by Tim Asch and Napoleon Chagnon
- Restored Yanomamö Films (Brazil, 16mm) by Tim Asch and Napoleon Chagnon
- Selections from the Jero Tapakan series (Bali) by Tim and Patsy Asch
Presenters and Discussants:
- Alice Apley, Documentary Educational Resources
- Patsy Asch, Filmmaker
- Frank Aveni, Documentary Educational Resources
- Ilisa Barbash, Curator of Visual Anthropology, Peabody Museum (Harvard)
- Michael Renov, University of Southern California
- Others (TBD)
November 15-17th 2018
Screening of house in the fields @ Society for Visual Anthropology Film Festival
Directed by Tala Hadid; Morocco 2017, digital video, color 86 min, Tamazight with English subtitles.
SCREENING OF The Colors of the Alphabet @ Society for Visual Anthropology Film Festival
Directed by Alastair Cole; Zambia 2016, color, digital video, 80 min, in Soli, Nyanja, Bemba, English with English subtitles
All screenings will be held in the Hammer Theater at San Jose State University, final times TBD.
Celebrating 50 Years of Ethnographic Film: Documentary Educational Resources and The Society for Visual Anthropology @ AMERICAN ANTHROPOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION MEETINGS
- Matthew Durington, Organizer
- Alice Apley, Chair/Roundtable Introducer
- Kathryn Ramey, Discussant
- Sarah Elder, Roundtable Presenter
- Allison Jablonko, Roundtable Presenter
- John Bishop, Roundtable Presenter
- John P. Homiak, Roundtable Presenter
The panel will be held at the San Jose Convention Center, final location TBD.