DISTRIBUTION & OFFICE MANAGER
Distribution & Office Manager
DER (Documentary Educational Resources) is seeking a full-time staff person to work as part of a small, dynamic, and highly-collaborative team in a relaxed work environment. The position has three areas of responsibility:
- Administration and Bookkeeping related to DER’s operations, including our documentary film Distribution and Filmmaker Support Programs.
- Customer service, sales fulfillment, and licensing.
- Outreach and marketing of new and catalog titles.
Bookkeeping and Administration
- Maintain all customer sales and records using Quickbooks, database, and eCommerce systems.
- Manage financial reporting and bookkeeping systems (e.g., accounts receivable and payable, reconcile bank accounts, process bill payments).
- Manage fiscal sponsorship accounts, and maintain open communication with filmmakers regarding funds received and expenditures.
- Process filmmaker royalties twice a year, prepare 1099s, and work with accountant on annual financials.
- Provide administrative support as needed, including ordering office supplies.
Customer Service, DVD Shipping, Film and Footage Licensing
- Field general inquiries about DER programs. Take sales orders and communicate with customers as needed.
- Serve as point person for screening and footage requests and prepare license agreements.
- Package, ship, and track orders. Field courier issues.
Acquisitions, Marketing, And Outreach
- Work closely with the Executive Director to develop marketing plans for each new release and to coordinate ongoing marketing of catalogue titles.
- Work closely with the Director of Design and Media to create print and web-based promotional materials, including flyers and announcements for film promotion at conferences and screenings.
- Manage print and email newsletter and film marketing campaigns, including assembly of relevant email and snail mail addresses. Research and purchase ads.
- Research relevant screening opportunities and submit films to festivals and conferences, and for review in academic journals. Coordinate delivery of film masters, digital files, and promotional materials.
- Maintain open communication with filmmakers regarding marketing activities. Track acceptances and rejections and alert filmmakers and DER staff accordingly. Share academic reviews and create reports detailing outreach activities.
- Maintain an active Listserv presence: monitor and post on list-serves for Documentary Films and Filmmakers, Anthropology and Social Sciences, and Media Librarians and Professionals.
Successful applicants will demonstrate most, if not all, of the following.
- Quickbooks proficiency required. General financial planning and management experience; knowledge of general bookkeeping practices, and experience using databases (i.e Filemaker)
- Non- profit administration experience.
- Experience with eCommerce systems such as Nexternal; Vendor management.
- Familiarity with anthropology and/or social sciences.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Collaborative working style.
- Interest in film distribution.
- Detail oriented.
Documentary Educational Resources (DER) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. We sponsor, distribute, and promote quality ethnographic, documentary and non-fiction films from around the world. We were founded in 1968 by independent filmmakers whose collaborations reflect a lifetime of engagement and respect for their subjects. DER fosters cross-cultural understanding through educational film and video.
Email a cover letter, resume and three references to: email@example.com. Please indicate what position you are applying for in the cover letter.
A DER internship is a great opportunity for students of filmmaking, anthropology, and the social sciences to develop skills and professional connections at an arts-based nonprofit. We aim to match an intern’s skills and interests with current projects, and interns typically take on projects in the areas of marketing, outreach, and acquisitions. We do not often assign interns to production or post production projects. DER internships are unpaid, but eligible for course credit. We offer internships to 2-3 students or recent graduates per semester. Please send a cover letter, résumé and two references to Alice Apley at firstname.lastname@example.org